If someone was caught with trafficking amounts of drugs and says you sold it to them, is that enough to get a wiretap?

Kansas City, MO |

assuming they have no other information on you and your background is clean.

Federal wiretaps usually have strict requirements. Evaluating the basis for getting the wiretap requires careful analysis of the warrant, the affidavit and the entire set of discovery. Best to have your lawyer review this with you with the full array of information before you.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

It depends on the officer and how they draft the warrant request. Then it will depend on if a magistrate signs off on it. There is no magic formula for law enforcement on what constitutes a valid request on behalf of an informant. You should have an attorney since you could be corralled in as part of a conspiracy, if you are not careful.

Perhaps, it would require a full review of the facts and the situation to determine if the wire tap can be successfully challenged. You need the help of a criminal defense lawyer immediately if you do not already have one. If you do talk with him about it. If not find one now. Federal drug cases can result in extremely long sentences. The federal system is very capable of destroying a defendant. Do not post facts about the situation on line but talk with a criminal defense attorney immediately.

Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, This answer is intended to provide general information about the justice system. It does not provide legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It does not provide the basis for making decisions about a course of action. Legal advice requires more communication and information than is possible in this format. Many important considerations and factors need to be investigated and discussed before an attorney could give legal advice about this issue. Before making any decisions about a course of action readers are strongly encouraged to contact a lawyer and secure an attorney-client relationship. Readers must also understand that this format does not provide for confidential communication.