If someone tries to cash a fraudulent check in a major bank and is caught how much trouble might the person be in?

Chicago, IL |

the bank froze the account and there is a fraud investigation underway, no money was withdrawn from the account.

Quite a bit of trouble, actually. There are a number of possible felonies, both state and federal that could be charged. I strongly recommend that you talk to a criminal defense lawyer NOW. And, don't talk to anyone until you have some good legal advice. Good luck.

Please be sure to mark the best answer to your question. My answers are general and do not form an attorney-client relationship. I'm happy to talk to prospective clients in my areas of concentration and geographical location.

Potentially a lot. Banks and District Attorneys are tough on this type of action and conduct. Not only it may be civil fraud but likely to be criminal indictment as well.

This is not something one can not take a wait and see approach. I can not stress enough to contact a criminal attorney in area immediately. One can can call his/her state bar for possible referrals.

One should not talk to the bank or investigator without first consulting with an attorney. I would suggest that attorney interface with the bank and investigators and allow him/her an opportunity to see if the issue can be resolved before a lawsuit is filed or criminal charges may be filed. Time is of the essence.

The facts given are limited and there are many facts needed to give a full opinion. The answer is general based on the limited facts...Facts not stated could be crusial facts that would change my opinion or the out come of the proceedings or issue(s).