If someone takes a plea open ended what does that mean?

Burlington, IA |

charged with operating a motor vehicle without the owners consent and theft 3. They offered him that they would drop the theft 3 charge if he pleas guilty to operating the vehicle without the owners consent open ended. Can you please tell me what that means? He has already served 60 days in jail.

if the person got in trouble when he was 17 for burgulery and did nine years in prison and now has been charged with operating a motor vehicle without the owners consent and theft 3 and the county attorney offered a plea that they would drop the theft 3 if he pleads guilty to the motor vehicle charge open ended. Is there any way for him to stay out of prison or should he go to trial? It was my van that he drove without asking me. He is 33 now and does not deserve to go to prison. What should he do? His court appointed lawyer isn't really helping him. He has a pre trial tomorrow. He doesn't know weather to take the plea or not. He said the charge is a mistameter Could he get sentence for a long time? This is in Iowa. Could you please help me so I can tell him. Thank you so much I am the victim but, I don't want him to go to prison can I do anything that would help his case?

That is not the term that is used where I practice. However, it may mean that the county attorney wants to make a recommendation at sentencing which may include additional jail time rather than discharging him from jail with credit for time served.

Open ended or "open recommendations" simply means the prosecutor is free to argue any lawful sentence. Te prosecutor will likely use all the facts...even those underlying the original theft 3 charge, at sentencing.

Your lawyer should be able to explain this in greater detail.

No attorney-client relationship is created by responding to any question on Avvo. Further, nothing contained in any response may be relied upon as legal advice.