If someone makes you an authorized card user on their credit card account,and you use the card , is it considered fraud?

Dolton, IL |

My grandmother is 90 years old with dementia and she called Discover (Discover Credit Card) and authorized me as a card user and they sent me my own card , I made some purchases and used it and now she is telling them she never authorized me and I may get charged with fraud and my uncle is unknowingly her power of attorney and he called them and told them that all my purchases are unauthorized but he wasn't there when my grandma made me a card user. what can I do?

1. Obtain the paper trail that you didn't and she did authorize your card use and account access.

2. If your grandmother has dementia,. she did not have the capacity to authorize you as a signatory on her card. Please consult with a probate or guardianship attorney.

Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.

3. You have a tough situation since she has dementia. If she was not competent, the authorization may be ineffective. I would suggest that you sit down with your family and work out a way to repay the charges you made that is satisfactory to everyone. Certainly you were planning to repay those charges anyway.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

Credit card fraud topics