If someone makes you an authorized card user on their credit card account,and you use the card , is it considered fraud?

Asked 7 months ago - Dolton, IL

My grandmother is 90 years old with dementia and she called Discover (Discover Credit Card) and authorized me as a card user and they sent me my own card , I made some purchases and used it and now she is telling them she never authorized me and I may get charged with fraud and my uncle is unknowingly her power of attorney and he called them and told them that all my purchases are unauthorized but he wasn't there when my grandma made me a card user. what can I do?

1. Judy A. Goldstein

2

Answered . If your grandmother has dementia,. she did not have the capacity to authorize you as a signatory on her card. Please consult with a probate or guardianship attorney.

2. Thomas O. Moens

Answered . You have a tough situation since she has dementia. If she was not competent, the authorization may be ineffective. I would suggest that you sit down with your family and work out a way to repay the charges you made that is satisfactory to everyone. Certainly you were planning to repay those charges anyway.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Obtain the paper trail that you didn't and she did authorize your card use and account access.