Skip to main content

If someone is sentenced to 18 years, when will they be eligible for parole

Houston, TX |

on an 18 year sentenced how much time must be served before eligible for parole

Attorney Answers 4


If it's an aggravated offense, you have to do at least half your time. If not, you'll be eligible in three or four years. Of course there's no guarantee you'll get parole then.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


Parole eligibility is based on a number of factors including the type of crime, the person's criminal history and the person's behavior while in jail. For a nonaggravated offense the rule of them is one quarter of the time and one half for aggravated. This can vary widely.
Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
Austin Probation Lawyer
Austin Parole Lawyer

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


The conviction must be for a First or Second Degree Felony. It will depend on whether or not it is an offense classified as a "3g" offense. Parole eligibility is determined by the offense. If it is a "3g" offense (typically your aggravated offenses or a deadly weapon finding) then one half of the sentence will have to be served without regard to good time before parole eligibility. If is not a "3g" offense then parole eligibility is reached when actual time and GOOD time reach 1/4th of the sentence. (Could be as low as 1/8th of the sentence if 2 for one the whole time in.) HOWEVER, as Counsel Macy states... it does not mean parole will actually be granted.

Good Luck

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


On a non-aggravated offense, the person will be eligible for parole when his flat time (the number of calendar days spent in custody) + his good time (the number of days he has accumulated for good behavior) = 1/4 of his sentence, or in this case, 4 years and 6 months.

On an aggravated offense, the person will be eligible for parole when his flat time equals 1/2 of his sentence or he has served 30 years, whichever is less. For instance, if the sentence is 40 years, he will be eligible when he has served 20 years. If the sentence is 70 years, he will be eligible in 30 years, because 1/2 his sentence would be 35 years. In this case, that would be 9 years. Accumulated good time is NOT considered on aggravated offenses.

If the person was sentenced for possession or delivery in a drug free zone, and the sentence was 5 years or less, he will serve the entire sentence. If it was for more than 5, he will not be eligible until he has served AT LEAST 5 years flat time. In this case, the person would be eligible in 5 years.

It's important to note that being eligible for parole does not mean that an inmate actually makes parole. It is not unusual for inmates to have to wait for their second or third time before the parole board to receive parole. There are lawfirms who specialize in preparing evidence for parole hearings and representing defendants in those hearings. You should consider contacting one of those firms. One such group can be found at

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics