If someone is accusing you of slander and they have hear say source information from one person could that prove their case?

Linden, NJ |

A private discussion occurred with one person communicating a rumor to another and then the person asked the actual person being talked about if it was true and revealed his source. Now the person who the rumor was about wants to sue the person who started the rumor for slander and stated he has facts to support his accusations.

Your post is extremely hard to follow, so I can only speak in the general and you can see if what you did meets the definition: Slander is spoken Defamation (libel is written defamation). Defamation is a false (truth is an absolute defense) statement of fact (opinions name calling, insults and slurs are protected speech), disseminated/published to a third party (so the person accused of slander must have made the comment to someone other than the person being defamed). The aggrieved must show the court that he/she suffered damages as a result of the loss of reputation.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

Bottom line is that unless this caused you to sustain a significant monetary loss, the costs would far exceed any recovery.

Recommended articles about Personal injury