If someone has stole my social security number and used it to open an account am i legally obligated to pay the debt?

Asked over 5 years ago - Columbus, OH

my father stole my social security number, opened an at&t account in my name and some how ran up a $5000 phone bill. i have communicated with at&t on the matter several times and they refuse to rule the account fraudulent because it was my father( domestic dispute). i have never lived with my father nor do i even communicate with him very often. i have provided every last piece of documentation they have asked for, and still they will not help me. they say that my police report is not valid because there is no suspect information on it, the police officer that took the report told me that the police dept does not put suspect info on reports, also that at&t knows this. i never signed a paper authorizing the account nor did i agree over the phone, woulnd they have to have some sort of proof that i authorized the account in order to charge the debt to me?

1. David G. Weilbacher, Esq.

Answered . I agree with Mr. Okorocha.

Disclaimer: I am not offering legal advice. I am just making suggestions for starting points for when you do speak with an attorney. Do NOT rely on anything I write and contact a lawyer.

2. Okorie Okorocha

1

1

Answered . You are liable until you prove there is a fraud. Did you file a police report yet?

My standard disclaimer: I am not offering legal advice, assume I do not know the law in your state and that I am just making suggestions for starting points for when you do speak with an attorney. Do NOT rely on anything I write and contact a lawyer in your area immediately after reading my posting.