If someone has an advertisement with a coupon or promo code with no expiration date but it has expired do they have to honor it?

San Angelo, TX |

I was on a web site that advertised something for $79.99 with a coupon code for $10.00. It was something I had been shopping for so I went to the site to buy it. During check out it said the coupon code was invalid. I found out that it was only good through the 19th of March and my order was on the 27th. Since it was still advertised as being good do they have to honor it?

There was no experation date on the coupon code, they just told me it expired on the 19th when I contacted them about it

What if an attorney at this site said that without an expiration date on the coupon the seller remained liable for the $10 discount? The answer from this site would not be authority for enforcement. You could get advice from an attorney but only at a cost far exceeding $10. Nevertheless this is a contract matter matter and can be handled by many attorneys in general practice.

My comments have been made without discussion. An attorney client relationship has not been established. There may be conflicts which prohibit my providing you with specific legal guidance. Any contact with you beyond these few general words will start with a disclosure of opposing parties so that a conflict check can be made. You should discuss with an attorney.

2. Promotion expiration dates are valid and enforceable

3. You have three options: buy the item without the expired coupon, decline to purchase and take your business elsewhere, or hire a lawyer and try to fight it. Hiring a lawyer should cost you several thousand dollars, so that is not really an option. Many businesses accept expired coupons for some brief period, but many don't.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.