Skip to main content

If someone falsely accuses someone of a hit and run, and the car identified was different than the car the accused drives ......

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

If someone falsely accuses someone of a hit and run, and the car identified in a police report was totally different than the car registered to the accused driver, can the accused driver use this information as evidence against the accuser for making a false report ?

What steps should the accused take to protect him / her self from further liability ?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Difficult to answer with these facts because it's not clear what steps have been taken by the accuser who is falsely accusing you. If you have been sued, you need to report it to your insurance carrier immediately and, in fact, it might not be a bad idea to report it to them anyway and let them deal with it. That's why you pay your premiums. If you have not been sued and don't want to report it to your insurance carrier, politely refer them to the police report for the correct information if they contact you again and leave it at that. Hope that helps.

    This communication is not intended to, and does not, create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. I agree with the other attorney

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. NY Attorney, Daniel Buttafuoco, has been voted BEST LAWYER five years in a row and has represented clients all over the United States. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Daniel Buttafuoco strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in order to ensure proper advice is received.

  3. I hope I am understanding your question correctly. A person does not have to be the registered owner of a car in order to be the driver. Just because a car is not registered to the driver is not evidence that the driver was not driving the car. If the accused is concerned about possible criminal charges, the best steps they can take is to make retain a criminal defense attorney and to not make any statements regarding this incident.

    DISCLAIMER Any information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. I invite you to contact me and I welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting me does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

  4. It is never too early under such circumstances to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney.

    This is not intended as legal advice.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics