If someone drove my car and got a second DUI or DWI and my car is impounded for 30 days can I petition the court to get it back

Roanoke, VA |

The person driving did not have permission and a cop was called and a police report was done. But, I did not press charges. Do I have the right to get my car out of impoundment if I pay the fines? like the tow bill? Kim

As a rightful owner of the impounded vehilce you may recover the car by producing the proper title documents and meeting other criteria.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Usually the General District Court where the charges were taken out is the place to go to file a petition to get the car released. There is a form that you can file in that court either with the help of a lawyer or on your own. It will get very expensive very quickly given the impound rates that most towing companies charge. The Court usually can set a hearing to have the matter addressed. Usually a matter like this is handled with the aid of an attorney but you may want to try on your own if you cannot afford to hire one. If you do nothing, the car will sit and charges will continue to rack up.