If someone drove my car and got a second DUI or DWI and my car is impounded for 30 days can I petition the court to get it back

Asked almost 2 years ago - Roanoke, VA

The person driving did not have permission and a cop was called and a police report was done. But, I did not press charges. Do I have the right to get my car out of impoundment if I pay the fines? like the tow bill? Kim

1. John Weber III

Pro

4

Answered . Usually the General District Court where the charges were taken out is the place to go to file a petition to get the car released. There is a form that you can file in that court either with the help of a lawyer or on your own. It will get very expensive very quickly given the impound rates that most towing companies charge. The Court usually can set a hearing to have the matter addressed. Usually a matter like this is handled with the aid of an attorney but you may want to try on your own if you cannot afford to hire one. If you do nothing, the car will sit and charges will continue to rack up.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

1

Answered . As a rightful owner of the impounded vehilce you may recover the car by producing the proper title documents and meeting other criteria.