If someone dies without any assets/estate/will/ or executer do the family members have to pay a credit card debt?

Waycross, GA |

My husband died over a year ago. He had no assets at the time of his death. Nor did he have a will so nothing was probabted. He owed over 10,000.00 to a credit card company. A collection agency is now sending letters to my home to his "executor". My name was not on the card nor did I ever use the card.
What should I do? I contacted the company when he died and sent a death certificate and also informed them that he was indigent. Thank you for your help in this matter.

1. Family members are not liable for the credit card debt. His estate is liable. If there are not assets, there is no asset.

2. The estate is responsible for the debt but not the beneficiaries. You should write the credit card companies, send them a copy of the certificate of death, and tell them there are no assets.