If someone dies without any assets/estate/will/ or executer do the family members have to pay a credit card debt?

Asked about 4 years ago - Waycross, GA

My husband died over a year ago. He had no assets at the time of his death. Nor did he have a will so nothing was probabted. He owed over 10,000.00 to a credit card company. A collection agency is now sending letters to my home to his "executor". My name was not on the card nor did I ever use the card.
What should I do? I contacted the company when he died and sent a death certificate and also informed them that he was indigent. Thank you for your help in this matter.

1. Jeffrey Branan Kelly

Answered . Family members are not liable for the credit card debt. His estate is liable. If there are not assets, there is no asset.

2. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . The estate is responsible for the debt but not the beneficiaries. You should write the credit card companies, send them a copy of the certificate of death, and tell them there are no assets.