If someone commits assault and the victim doesn't want to press charges, can someone else do it?

This guy my daughter has been hanging out with beat her up and threatened to kill her. She's scared and refuses to speak to the police because she thinks it's going to make everything worse. Possibly because he has connections with a bad group of people. There seems to be no way she will even consider pressing charges. I know for a fact that he has been arrested before, but I don't know for what. She won't take a picture to show proof that she was beaten, but she has bloody clothing that I'm hoping can prove something. Is there anything I can do by myself to see to it that he goes to jail for this? And how long would I have to report it - Is there a limit before it becomes to late too do anything at all?

New York, NY -

Attorney Answers (4)

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

You can report it to the police but that does not mean the police can make a case without your daughter's cooperation. Sometimes they can such as where the victim make an excited utterance of who did it (an exception to the hearsay rule) and there are photos or medical records to prove the injury. Before calling the police you should consider how your daughter will react to you. You are in a tough spot - caught between trying to protect your daughter and not wanting to anger her.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Criminal Defense Attorney - Garden City, NY

You can advise the police of the matter and they can attempt to investigate..

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a... more
Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Chicago, IL

Immediately report this criminal conduct. Save the clothes. Take a photo.

You can report a crime.

Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III

Criminal Defense Attorney - Louisville, KY

You can call the police to report a crime. This is a sensitive area, between a father and daughter, proceed with caution.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.