If someone breaks into your house and you shoot them, does that make you a criminal in California?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oakland, CA

What are the laws about protecting your castle/estate? Are there certain cases where I could be tried as a criminal for protecting my home or am I given complete license to do so? My neighborhood is rough. I don't want to break the law and that's why I want to know self-defense laws. Are they absolute in your own home or what?

1. Sean Patrick Lewis

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . You might be well-served by looking on calguns.net. They have LOTS of info regarding this issue.
    Look for the FAQ relating to the castle doctrine.

Good luck!

2. Robert Laurens Driessen

1

1

Answered . These are handled by a case by case basis and the facts will matter.
    Robert Driessen

3. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Answered . Depending on the circumstances, yes, you could be charged criminally for shooting an intruder. Even if you are charged, you should be able to assert a self defense argument.
    But generally speaking, just the fact that someone broke into your home does not give you unfettered right to shoot them.