If someone backs up to you (in missouri) in a parking lot and they are at fault can they get away with not fixing my car?

Asked over 1 year ago - Clinton, MO

i was exiting a parking lot and i had to stop while other cars were leaving the parking lot. a man in a jeep wrangler backed up into my car. his spare tire pushed up into the side of my car and left a pretty good dent. we called the cops and exchanged insurance info. when the cops came they said since it was in a parking lot (private property) they couldn't issue a police report. the cop just wrote all our info down and that was it. the accident happened on a saturday, i waited til mon. and decided to go get a quote. i waited til later that day before calling his insurance company to see if he turned it in yet. he hadn't. his insurance co. called me today and said that in iowa (i guess thats where his insurance company is out of) each person covers the damage to their own car? am i screwed

1. Richard Watts Morefield

4

Answered . The other party is responsible for the damage he caused. The liability issue is governed by Missouri law, not Iowa law because Missouri is where the accident happened. You should turn this in to your carrier if you have more than liability coverage.

Pro

5

Answered . Simply report the accident to your insurance company to resolve.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. Melvin G. Franke

1

Answered . No file a lawsuit, his insurance company has to defend him.

4. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

2

Answered . The guy who backs up into you is liable. The insurance company is incorrect. File in small claims or the appropriate court.

5. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

1

Answered . File a claim with your own insurance and explain how the accident happened.. Besy of luck.