Skip to main content

If served with response to divorce and temp hearing set for days from it can I ask for continuance based on no time to prepare?

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: Divorce Divorce court

I filed for divorce had spouse served with paperwork. I have not heard from him and hearing is very soon. My concern is he will serve me at the very last minute before the hearing and I wont have time to prepare. Can I ask for a continuance and will it likely be granted under the circumstances?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


What type of hearing -- the final hearing schedule 91 days after you swerved him?

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.



no the temp order hearing not the final

Dave Hawkins

Dave Hawkins


If he does not serve you 4 court days before the hearing, you ask the court to enter your proposed orders as is, assuming you provided the court a copy of the proposed orders. He will most likely ask for a continuance to give him time to respond which the court may allow if this is his first request for a continuance.



Thank you for the info!


If it is a hearing for temporary orders and he gives you his response at the last minute, show up to the hearing and ask for a continuance so you can reply. It will likely be granted.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer