If served with response to divorce and temp hearing set for days from it can I ask for continuance based on no time to prepare?

Asked over 2 years ago - Seattle, WA

I filed for divorce had spouse served with paperwork. I have not heard from him and hearing is very soon. My concern is he will serve me at the very last minute before the hearing and I wont have time to prepare. Can I ask for a continuance and will it likely be granted under the circumstances?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Dave Hawkins


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . What type of hearing -- the final hearing schedule 91 days after you swerved him?

    The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for... more
  2. Frances Turean

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If it is a hearing for temporary orders and he gives you his response at the last minute, show up to the hearing and ask for a continuance so you can reply. It will likely be granted.

Related Topics

Divorce court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Avvo Staff

An Overview of Divorce Court Fees

Just as each state has its own requirements to successfully file for divorce, each state also has its own types of fees and rules for when they will be applied. You may find this overview... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,584 answers this week

2,916 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,584 answers this week

2,916 attorneys answering