If sentenced to jail for tax evasion, will they go to a 'white collar' jail that allows lenient internet/free time rules?

Palm Desert, CA |

Do white collar jails exist?

Go to BOP.gov, the federal Bureau of Prisons webpage. Search for "Camps" and "Minimum Security" for a better understanding. There are also many .pdf documents about programming in the jails. Your BOP score is dependent on you criminal history, the facts and statute of your conviction, the length of your sentence, any problems with PTS/BOP prior to sentencing, and other "relevant criteria" that BOP can use to set your score. The Court can make a non-binding recommendation to BOP as to the location of the facility, or the type of facility (medical), or to programming (mental health, drug and alcohol treatment, etc.). The BOP does not want you to get injured during your stay, so they will put prisoners with like-situated prisoners. But it is still jail.

www.FBDMLaw.com, Toll Free 877-Braverlaw. I am admitted in New York and New Jersey and practice in federal courts nationwide. In my partnership we have attorneys admitted in: NY, NJ, PA, CT, and CO, and have collectively over 75 years of practice. The above is not intended as legal advice nor a promise of any specific outcome. This response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication. The answer provided is meant to be instructional only. However, without the creation of an attorney-client relationship and the client providing complete information about the situation, the answer is necessarily incomplete and is not meant to be relied upon. If you wish to create an attorney-client relationship, please contact my office to set up an appointment.

2. I assume you were convicted in florida state court. If so, you should consult a local florida attorney to inform you about their jail classification scheme. If you were convicted federally, I can tell you that white collar criminals do enjoy more luxury their their more violent brethren. Good luck.

3. In California there is no such thing as a Club Fed style white collar jail, but there are lower security placements including what may be called Fire Camp. Consult with a local attorney who can advise based upon the criminal record, the charges and sentence, and jail crowding issues.

www.losangelesdefenders.com

4. If this is a federal matter, it is highly likely that placement will be in a minimum security facility. In addition, in federal matters you can be placed anywhere in the US, so it won't necessarily be in California. However, you can ask the court for a local recommendation, but that's all it is just a recommendation. The BOP will make the final decision.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.