If sentenced to 5 years Prison for violation of Felony Forgery probation, how much time will he serve?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Douglas, GA

My husband had $400 in forgery charges so he got a felony for it with ten years, five years suspended, five probation he still had four years 3 months when he left the state. He was here in colorado, got arrested for the warrant _ falure to report, falure to pay-probation violation, and also leaving the state. If he gets the max 5 years to prison, how long is the average time served before he is eligable for parole?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Lee William Fitzpatrick

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . The amount of time a state prisoner has to serve before parole is determined by the State Board of Pardons and Paroles. The Board uses a rating system (called the GRID) that factors in everything from crime severity to the potential parolee's criminal history in determing when parole will be offered. Without the answer to the GRID questions, it is hard to estimate the time he would have to serve. That being said, for non-violent offenses and not too significant criminal backgrounds, a third of the time is not a "educated guess". An attorney to help negotiate the punishment for failure to follow the probation rules would be very helpful. For example, as described in your question, it was unclear whether he had completed the suspended portion of his sentence. If so, the violations of probation that you describe would not generally allow for a maximum revocation. They look like technical vilations that would only be a two year maximum.

Related Topics

Felony crime

A felony is a crime that is punishable by more than one year in prison. Certain especially severe felonies may be punishable by the death sentence.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,831 answers this week

2,568 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,831 answers this week

2,568 attorneys answering