If protected by the 5th and 14th amendment of the constitution how is it constitutional for a state to make a law which an offic

Asked over 1 year ago - Phoenix, AZ

If protected by the 5th and 14th amendment of the constitution how is it constitutional for a state to make a law which an officer may take my property without due process of law such as driving without insurance and impounding my car?

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Because the courts have held that impounding for a limited time does not implicate a taking.

2. Keith G Langer

3

Answered . 1. It is not a permanent "taking;" and

2. The immediate threat to public safety (your driving w/o insurance) supersedes the temporary trespass upon your property rights.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

3

Answered . Temporarily deprived of does not equal a "taking" in the constituional sense.

4. Joel B. Sklar

Pro

1

1

Answered . My guess is that the violation is a misdemeanor and the auto impounded for that violation. Your due process will come at your court date