If priority date becomes current while family based i-130 is still under initial review, is it possible to file for i-485?

Asked about 1 year ago - Falls Church, VA

priority date is currently Nov 12th 2012 but with recent speculations i believe the priority date might become current for F2A category.
I hear different theories online about whether one can or cannot apply I-485 if his/her Priority date becomes current while I-130 is still under review. Can you please help to clarify what is one supposed to do when facing such a situation. Thank you.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not possible. It is possible to try and hire an immigration attorney to get the I-130 back on track, but it not possible to file I-485 until the I-130 is adjudicated and approved.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is what is called a slippery-slope ... meet with an attorney ... 8 months is a long time for an I-130 to be pending.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. John Grayson Davidson


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No.

    Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 |ICannHelpYouNow.com | John1Davidson@gmail.com

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,454 answers this week

2,968 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,454 answers this week

2,968 attorneys answering