If preliminary change of ownership was filed incorrectly, would that void or invalidate the quitclaim deed recorded?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Seller incorrectly signed his own signature as a new owner instead of buyer's signature (at the end of second page of the form). Buyer does not agree with the reason for the transfer. Would this error on report invalidate or void the quitclaim deed just recorded? What does seller need to do? Or what buyer can do to fix the error in case seller does not comply?

Additional information

Buyer and seller information on first page was filled out correctly.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No, the Preliminary Change of Ownership Report (PCOR) has nothing to do with title. The PCOR is used by the County Tax Assessor's Office for purposes of asertaining the proper amount of property taxes owed following the change in title. Therefore, an erroneous PCOR would not void or invalidate an otherwise validly recorded quitclaim deed.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  2. Thomas R Saltarelli

    Contributor Level 2


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with both lawyers responses. The Report is simply a report to the assessor's office about the character of the transfer and it provides some other pertinent information and does not affect the deed. However p, if for some reason there is some material mistake on the deed then a "correction" deed should be recorded to clear it up.

  3. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . That is what is known as a "scrivener's error". You may file a correction deed to correct the mistake.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more

Related Topics

Real estate documents

There are several real estate documents that may be required when buying or selling property, including a purchase agreement, property disclosure and deed.

Real estate quitclaim deed

A quitclaim deed is used to transfer ownership without a sale taking place or verifying ownership. It's often used to transfer property between family members.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,336 answers this week

2,747 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,336 answers this week

2,747 attorneys answering