If police were not asking me to come down for an interview immediately but then I refuse altogether they threaten arrest, why?

Grand Prairie, TX |
Filed under: Criminal defense

Had a detective call me and wanted me to come down for an interview. I did not go and he called again and asked when I could come in the next few weeks. I said I didn't want to come in at all since he gave me little info on what he wants to discuss. When I said no he suddenly said if you don't want to come give your side of the story I will just have to issue a warrant for your arrest. Does this mean that he has little evidence and wants me to incriminate myself so he is trying to scare me into coming in?

He's trying to get you to come in and give a statement before you have a chance to review the evidence against you or consult with an attorney. He knows that if he can commit you to a story or catch you in a statement that contradicts your other story, someone else's story or some piece of evidence it will help in your prosecution.

Thank you for the info. I was told by a friend that its usually a tactic they use when they don't have enough evidence so they try and get you to admit to something or give them the evidence they need to arrest you. That they threaten arrest in hopes of scaring you.

Detectives with strong cases try to get the target of the investigation to confess. So do detectives with weak cases.

Why? Because if the detective gets a confession it makes the prosecution's job much, much easier.

A person who is asked to come down and tell their side of things should immediately go get themselves the best criminal defense lawyer they can.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

Say "I don't want to say anything. I want a lawyer." Then get one.