If police were not asking me to come down for an interview immediately but then I refuse altogether they threaten arrest, why?

Asked over 1 year ago - Grand Prairie, TX

Had a detective call me and wanted me to come down for an interview. I did not go and he called again and asked when I could come in the next few weeks. I said I didn't want to come in at all since he gave me little info on what he wants to discuss. When I said no he suddenly said if you don't want to come give your side of the story I will just have to issue a warrant for your arrest. Does this mean that he has little evidence and wants me to incriminate myself so he is trying to scare me into coming in?

1. Stephen Neil Foster

Answered . He's trying to get you to come in and give a statement before you have a chance to review the evidence against you or consult with an attorney. He knows that if he can commit you to a story or catch you in a statement that contradicts your other story, someone else's story or some piece of evidence it will help in your prosecution.

2. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

Answered . Detectives with strong cases try to get the target of the investigation to confess. So do detectives with weak cases.

Why? Because if the detective gets a confession it makes the prosecution's job much, much easier.

A person who is asked to come down and tell their side of things should immediately go get themselves the best criminal defense lawyer they can.

3. William Emil Cassara

Pro

Answered . Say "I don't want to say anything. I want a lawyer." Then get one.