If parents live in different states what court should a child support and visitation order for adjustment be filed in

Asked almost 6 years ago - Indianapolis, IN

I am in need of getting my child visitation and child support order adjusted, but my ex-wife and both live in different states from where our original order was finalized, can and how do I get this moved to either her current state of residence or mine?

Additional information

I’m in a dilemma where my daughter at the age of 18 on May 5th 2007 left the house, got married on April 30th, 2008 and is expecting a baby on June 2009. She lives with her husband in Texas, mother lives in California, father lives in South Carolina and the case was open in New York City.
So my question is how do I stop child support when New York courts tell me to close the case in South Carolina and South Carolina courts tell me to close it in New York where the case was legally open.

I have gone back and forth between states trying to close child support which has been going on for 1 year.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Jeffrey Feulner


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Visitation should be handled where the child resides. Child support enforcement should occur where you reside, SC. To modify, ie end child support, you should file where the child last resided with the mother. I am assuming California. If not, NY retains jurisdiction.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,759 answers this week

2,725 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,759 answers this week

2,725 attorneys answering