If parents divorced 7 years ago with equal parenting time in their plan, what happens when one decides to relocate out of state?

Portland, OR |

The parent that is moving isn't planning on taking the children.

First, check you divorce judgment to see if re-location is mentioned. Obviously, the parenting time schedule will need to be changed (& child support, probably): you first need to discuss this with an attorney, then approach the other parent with your ideas about how to change the parenting time schedule. If that doesn't work, you will need to file a modification with the court. Give me a call. Also, check out my "legal guide" about parenting time on my profile page on this website. Diane

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.