If ordered to serve 5 jails in county jail, will leaving Ohio to Colorado, will Colorado arrest me?

Lima, OH |

I plead guilty to an OVI misdemeanor. It was my first offense. I was ordered to do the Driver Intervention Program and I never went. I am leaving the state as I have been accepted to Colorado State University. I just received a letter saying my DIP privilege has been revoked and I must appear at the county jail on April 19th, 2013.

1. Maybe. Why bail on DIP? Best have a good reason. Talk to counsel.

2. Possibly. The warrant will hurt your chances of getting a job and possibly even financial aid. I suggest you get an attorney to try and get your situation fixed.

Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    (937)6=510-6110 phone
    attycbeck@gmail.com
    www.becklawofficellc.com

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

3. If you get an attorney to help you with this, he or she could probably get the court to allow you to do the DIP in Colorado. Every state has DIP programs. Is there any chance you could still do the DIP before you leave. You could ask the judge for another opportunity to complete the DIP instead of jail. You do not want to leave this hanging over your head. There will come a day when you want to come back to this state. Colorado will not likely arrest you on an Ohio warrant. But, they will or might see that you have the warrant if you are arrested in Colorado for something else. Then they could give Ohio a chance to come after you. Not likely, but possible.

4. If you will be stopped for a simple traffic offense, there is a good chance that you will be arrested. Do not make it too complicated. Resolve the matter before you leave Ohio. It is not late yet.