If one party in a marriage (separted for 3 years, but not legally) comes into an inheritance, in WA is that community property?

Asked over 1 year ago - Snohomish, WA

The wife has taken all money from sold duplex property and her husband (my brother) is paying the taxes on that profit. Our mother just died and our step dad has a will dividing their net worth 4 ways for the four kids (no spouses' names are included).

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

6

8

Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this, you have a good argument that it should not be part of the martial estate given the time, pleas work with a local attny he or she will help you.

2. Gregory Stuart Marshall

Pro

6

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that the property is separate. However, the character of the property can change depending on how it is treated once it's received. Your question also has a probate element to it. Just to be clear, the Will your step-dad has is your mother's, correct? Has the Will been admitted to probate in Superior Court?

I take it there is no pending dissolution action between your brother and his wife? How did the wife get her hands on the proceeds? It sounds like that should never have happened. Your brother's recourse may be through litigation against his wife or the personal representative of your mother' estate. Your brother should consult with counsel about this.

3. Dave Hawkins

Pro

6

Answered . In Wa. state, and inheritance is considered to be separate property.

4. Vicki Elaine Wiley

5

Answered . An inheritance even if received during. Marriage is the SEPARATE propert of the person who inherited the property. Your brother needs to seek a local attorneys assistance quickly if he wants to put a stop to the losses. Good luck to him.

5. Justin Eric Elder

Pro

3

Answered . As this is a question of Washington state law, please make sure you are getting good advice from attorneys who are familiar with and licensed to practice in Washington.

Inheritance is separate property in Washington unless it is commingled with community assets after you receive it.

6. Michael Evan Stowell

2

Answered . Property acquired during a marriage is presumed to be community property unless it is acquired by gift or inheritance. From your description, you have no claim on this property.

This electronic transmission and any documents accompanying this electronic transmission contain confidential information belonging to the sender. This information may be legally privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on or regarding the contents of this electronically transmitted information is strictly prohibited.