If one of two tenants want to break the lease,Do I have to let the second tenant stay till lease maturity>

Asked almost 2 years ago - Spokane, WA

Hello, I have one lease with an unmarried couple listed on the lease separatly. One party wants to break the lease which is ok with me. The other party wants to stay and fulfill the lease. I am not comfortable with that. Do I have to give her the opportunity to stay? Or can I insist they both vacatesince the lease has been terminated by one of the tenants? This is in Washington State. Thank you very much for your advise.

1. Thomas Martin Morningstar

1

Answered . If your lease form says that if one leaves, then all must leave, then that may be an enforceable contract. Read your lease form carefully. If there is no term that specifies termination by one is termination as to all, then you continue to have a contract to provide possession and quiet enjoyment of a habitable premises through the lease term. It should be clear. If you have questions after carefully reading your own lease form, take it to an attorney.