If one is of legal age, is viewing porn clips on Rockettube (Youtube kind of site) legal?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |
Filed under: Business

What is the difference between viewing clips and downloading clips? Is this a violation of copyright?

1. As long as the clips aren't of anyone underage, adults are free to consume porn.

Copyright laws apply if you're copying, displaying, distributing, or creating a derivative work of someone else's IP without a license. If everything on this site is licensed, then no copyright rights prevent your consumption. If the site only licenses viewing and you download and distribute something, then you'd be exceeding the scope of (breaching) the license. Check the terms of use of the site.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls, and you shouldn't expect me to respond to your further questions if you haven't hired me. We need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

2. In order to view clips your computer actually downloads them; it just "streams" the video and doesn't save what is downloaded permanently.

If you are of legal age, and accept the terms and conditions on the site, then yes it is legal to view porn on various -tube sites. You should be careful to avoid certain types of videos that may be illegal in some areas, or child porn which is illegal almost everywhere, but most reputable sites will not allow those things to be uploaded. In fact, most of those sites simply steal their content form each other or get it syndicated from large distributors.

The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Business topics