If one enter to US with H1B visa ,when he can apply for green card?

Asked about 3 years ago - Iraan, TX

I have phd in accounting and I got an offer from a company

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It is best to apply for a green card as soon as possible since the waiting times are fairly long.

    Please see

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Christian Schmidt

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . At any time.

  3. Lynne Rogers Feldman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . In theory any time including before the H-1B is granted; however we recommend you and the employer spend some time with each other (1 month, 3 months whatever it takes to get a comfort level with the job and the employer) to make sure you will be happy there before spending the money on the green card.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
    email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
    website: www.immigrateme.com

    Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

  4. Mary Elizabeth Ryan

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . As other lawyers have indicated, legally you can file anytime and should file as soon as possible due to the long wait for a green card in some categories. Your sponsoring company may have certain polices about when they will start a green card for an employee. You may wish to inquire into the policies before accepting the job offer if waiting is a "deal breaker" for you.

    Legal disclaimer: Mary E. Ryan, Taylor & Ryan. The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are... more
  5. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . As soon as possible.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,594 answers this week

3,226 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,594 answers this week

3,226 attorneys answering