If on probation, are you required to tell your probation officer you got a ticket/citation?

San Jose, CA |

If someone is on probation, are they required to tell their probation officer that they received a ticket/citation? My friend is fighting it in court and I wanted to know if people don't normally have to report to their probation officer regarding it in the case they can win in court.

It depends on the terms and conditions of probation he signed. He should have a copy.

If he is on summary probation, usually minor traffic infractions are excepted, meaning they are not a violation. However, if they have a probation officer, I'm guessing they are on formal probation. Then Mr. Kaman is correct he should have the details of his terms.

I agree that you should review the exact terms of probation. For misdemeanor summary probation, the term "Obey all laws" typically does not include an infraction like a traffic ticket. If it is formal probation, the best bet it is to review the terms.