Skip to main content

If no charges were filed, do the cops have to give back the money they took? what are the procedures to get it back?

Bakersfield, CA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

the sheriffs took $1285.00 from my bedroom and gave me a paper saying they were starting forfeiture proceedings. no charges were ever filed. how do i get my money back?

Attorney Answers 3


They should have given you a notice of forfeiture--you need to follow the instructions on that paper, however it's best to have an attorney so you ensure you get the money back and don't walk yourself back into any criminal case.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


I have recategorized your question so that you can get a response.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


How long ago was this? The law is very specific in terms of time limitations for forfeitures. You need to speak attorneys who practice in this area. Many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation. I suggest contacting a few. Good luck.
for Fairness / for Your Freedom because sometimes good people get into bad situations.
(800) 409-7010

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics