If my work start date is October 1st what is the earliest exact date I can enter the US on my H1B visa?

Chicago, IL |

I had a J1 visa for a couple years. Now I will start my new job on October 1st on my
H1B (everything approved, already got the visa stamp since I'm vacationing in Germany right now). I know that I can only enter the US 10 days prior to my job start date, but I am a little bit confused what exact date that means since I found people saying that the earliest date of entry is 09/20 or 09/21. So my question is which one is it? I already booked my flight back for the 20th and if I have to change it to the 21st I need to know soon. Thank you very much in advance.

1. You should be fine with a flight on the 20th

2. September 20

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. Good question, I recommend September 21 ... but have heard the people enter w/o problems on the 20th.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

4. Did you take the time change into consideration?

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

5. Sep 20

www.BulgarianImmigrationLawyer.com

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630