If my wife and I both want a divorce can we just sign the papers and mail them in for free?

Asked over 1 year ago - Troy, NY

She's pregnant for twins (with her new bf) We both want the divorce, there are no children/financials involved

1. Jeffrey B. Peltz

Pro

7

Answered . You need to prepare the divorce paper, you both need to sign, with notary and pay the filing fees of $335. By the way, you are legally presumed to be the father of the children since they were conceived during the marriage. I suggest you consult with an experienced divorce attorney near you.

2. Lori Noel Bovee

7

Answered . You will still need to pay the filing fees. You could go down to the county clerk and ask for the uncontested divorce packet, however I recommend consulting with a divorce attorney first since as counsel noted, you are the presumptive father and you need to make sure that she cannot come after you for child support.

3. Daniel Yaniv

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . If both parties are cooperating you can certainly obtain an uncontested divorce. It's not free but can remain relatively inexpensive. You will need to address the fact that your wife is currently expecting a child but that should not be an issue. You may obtain further information by visiting www.uncontesteddivorceny.com.

4. Jill Marie Zuccardy

6

Answered . There is a packet that people can use to do their own divorce. However, it is complicated and, if you make a mistake, it could cost more to have a lawyer fix it. I urge you to hire an attorney to do the uncontested papers. Most attorneys charge a reasonable flat fee for this type of case.

* This information is general legal information and is not intended to be advice on your particular case.
  5. Morghan L Richardson

Pro

6

Answered . I agree with the other lawyers: either go to the court to try and do the uncontested divorce yourself or hire a lawyer to do it for you. Since time is important, you are probably better off paying a lawyer to do it.

6. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

4

Answered . There are court filing fees for a divorce. It is best to have an attorney prepare the uncontested paperwork.