If my wages are being garnished for student loans can the irs take my tax refund?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Nashville, TN

I am a single mother of 3 working a fulltime job @ 8/hour.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James Elliot Pratt

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . The facts provided in your question are not clear. Are you asking whether the student loan creditor can get your Federal tax refund? If so and your wages are being garnished due to student loan creditors who have properly secured their interest, then generally speaking the answer would be yes the creditor could get your federal refund. Otherwise, if the IRS has an active levy against you, the IRS can also take your refund.

    Please click “thumbs up” if you’ve found this helpful and/or informative.


    The information in this answer is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this communication should be taken as legal advice for any case or situation. Nothing herein is intended as legal advice. You should not rely upon any information as a source of legal advice, and your receipt or viewing of any such information does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and James E. Pratt.

    IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To comply with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U. S. federal tax advice contained herein (including any attachments), unless specifically stated otherwise, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purposes of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter herein.

  2. Ayuban Antonio Tomas


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If you owe back taxes at the time you file your return, the IRS will take your refund.

  3. Joshua R.I. Cohen

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . If your wages are being garnished for a student loan, is this a FEDERAL student loan or a private student loan? If federal, it means you loan is in default and YES, the Dept of Education can intercept your tax refund. However, there is a way to stop this - it is called rehabilitation and you can learn about it from the debt collector servicing the account (not sure they'll tell you everything you need to know), you can call the Dept of Education Ombudsman at 877-557-2575, or you can contact me directly at www.TheStudentLoanLawyer.com.
    (if you change your exemptions so you're not overpaying your taxes, there won't be a refund to intercept - talk to an accountant about this. Also, it seems your wages are very close to the minimum wage so not much should be taken out (assuming you work 40 hours a week, only $30 is subject to garnishment - but still, I could understand that this is a lot for a single mother of 3). Bottom line, don't sit on this, get information and assistance to tackle this issue.
    Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,117 answers this week

2,233 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,117 answers this week

2,233 attorneys answering