If my suspended licence from another state expires, can a I get a different one in another state?

Asked over 2 years ago - Gatlinburg, TN

My licence was suspended in California in 2009 for not paying a fine for not having insurance. I moved to Tennessee shortly after and I have not attempted to get a new licence.

1. Andrea R. Rogers

Answered . No. If your license is suspended in one state, it is suspended in all other states. States share information about drivers and traffic violations. So, if you apply for a license in Tennessee, the state of Tennessee will check the national records and will see that your license is suspended in California and will refuse to give you a driver's license.

I believe Colorado might be an exception, but you would have to move there, establish residency, then go through a court hearing to see if Colorado would grant you a driver's license even though your license is suspended in California. And even if you did all of that, the license would only be good in Colorado and you would still be suspended in all other states.

I suggest that you hire a traffic law attorney in California to help you resolve your issue there and get your license reinstated.