Skip to main content

If my support Order and Divorce Decree does not mention college tuition and/or support to my 18 yr old, can i be ordered to pay?

Blue Bell, PA |

My divorce decree does not mention anything about having to continue paying support after my children are over 18 and/or are in college. My child support order now, states that support only is for TUITION, but does not mention college. my son will be graduating this year and I plan on filing a Petition to Modify so that I no longer pay my ex support for him. Will I be ordered to continue if he goes on to college?

Attorney Answers 2


Pennsylvania law establishes that both parents are liable for the support of their children who are unemancipated and 18 years of age or younger. However, parents may be liable for the support of their children who are 18 years of age or older. For example, a support obligation may continue for a child who is 18 and still attending high school. When a child is emancipated, or over 18 years of age and no longer attending high school, one of the parents may file a "Petition for Modification of an Existing Support Order" to request that the child support order be stopped. Additionally, there may be other situations, such as the existence of physical or emotional challenges, when parents may be required to pay support for a child who is 18 years of age or older.

If your son does not have any disabilities and you did not agree to contribute towards his college education, your support order should terminate wince the arrears, fees, & costs are paid in full.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


File your petition. If this is in Delaware County and would involve a hearing before a support master, I strongly advise you to obtain legal representation from a family law attorney versed in support laws of our state. You have some time to find an attorney now who is an expert in this area.

Good luck,

PS: If this was most helpful please mark it as a best answer.

The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay, 1325 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19107,, (267) 519-2719, LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. You should not act based upon this general information nor without seeking legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. Any client reviews or attorney endorsements posted on this website are solely the opinion of that person and should not be construed as representative of the results you might expect to receive in your specific legal matter. No one can offer a review or endorsement concerning the type or quality of legal work they received in relation to the type or quality of legal work that might be done for you if you become a client of this office. This website is not advertising. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of our attorneys. This website and its feature to contact us do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay or any of its attorneys. The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay practices law only in the states of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics