If my spouses adultery effected my finances how does that figure into alimony and support?

Clearwater, FL |

the spouse spent marital money and lost jobs and hampered my potential income with her adultery. how does that effect alimony and support?

It is called dissipation and can be used to factor into equitable distribution and alimony. Speak to your lawyer.

If she squandered marital funds furthering her affair, you should seek reimbursement of your share of those monies. How did her infidelity hamper your income potential? That is probably difficult to prove. You should consult with an attorney that is experienced handling divorce cases.

If you can prove that she wasted marital funds on her affair, you can get an inequitable distribution. Remember that Florida is a no fault state, so the court won't punish her for being a bad wife. You should talk with an attorney, because if this wasn't a large amount it might not be worth spending the resources (attorneys, accountants, etc.) going after it.

Legal disclaimer: Ms. Braaten's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an family law attorney.

Squandering marital funds on a paramour can be a total bar to alimony.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,

Spending marital money on an affair definitely counts, but needs to be properly plead and argued. Make sure you talk to your lawyer about it.

to the extent the other spouse wasted marital money it means a lot, and it hurts her chances for alimony.