If my spouse must pay me maintenance and he files for bankruptcy after the divorce, what happens to my maintenance?

Asked about 1 year ago - Castle Rock, CO

He has a tax lien and has frequently mentioned bankruptcy before we split.

1. David M. Rich

Pro

6

Answered . Maintenance is not dischargable in bankruptcy, but if he cannot pay, it will accrue with interest and be a debt to you, which may not be of help in the short term to you.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

6

Answered . Niether maintenance or child support can be discharged in bankruptcy and must be paid if the person is able.

3. David Littman

Pro

5

Answered . Mr. Rich is correct. I would offer one caution. If you assign your rights to the maintenance to a collection attorney or collection agency, the maintenance owed becomes dischargeable in bankruptcy. Maintenance and child support are considered under federal bankruptcy law to be non-dischargeable debts.

4. James T Anest

2

Answered . It is non dischargeable