If my spouse moves in with her paramour before we are divorced can the paramours income be used for child support calculations?

Tampa, FL |

Only if he quits his job and decides to live off her income. But her income can't be added to his for purposes of calculating support.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

What if it isn't fully "Quitting"? Her income will be reduced by 80% and made up by the paramours income.

Brent Allan Rose

Brent Allan Rose

That's the circumstance the appellate courts contemplated in coming up with the rule I mentioned. The judge will do one of two things in that circumstance: either add in the new spouse's income or attribute the old income to the person who just "reduced" her income.

Do you have a case reference for that appellate ruling? So it sounds like moving in with the paramour to significantly reduce her income would be at least admissible in a modification hearing?

Brent Allan Rose

Brent Allan Rose

I won't do your research for you. I get paid to do that. But if you want to go to the law library, you are searching under the term "voluntary underemployment."

no. Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659.

The answer is usually no. If you need an attorney you can contact my office for a free initial consultation at (813) 374-0353.

The paramour's income won't count in the calculation of the guideline amount, however it still might be relevant for various reasons that are normally considered "equitable."

No.

Child support topics