If my sponsor cancel my J1 Visa, How much time do I have before I should leave USA?

Asked over 3 years ago - Big Sky, MT

J1 Visa, I have been working here since December 12, my Visa expires on March 12. They told me if I quit, they would cancel my Visa immediately. I don't want to travel, I just want to come back earlier to my country. Will I have future replesalies or any kind of problems if I want to come back to the U.S?

PS: they told me that I have five days to leave U.S.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Being in a J-1 status and arriving lawfully with inspection naturally, as you may imagine, does not trigger any inadmissibility if you depart upon your J-1 visa status expiration for one or another reason (termination of employment or earlier departure to the home country for some reasons).
    Even if you intent to seek admission to the Unites States eventually you may explain the present situation of compliance with all requirements, which are, arriving lawfully on a J-1, working at the designated place on J-1 leaving upon the visa termination.
    One you would be able to explain the circumstances, I do not envision any problems for your admission to the U.S. on any subsequent visas.


    The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding.
    Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction.
    The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales.
    Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues.
    Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue.
    For further inquiries please contact:
    Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now