If my sons father is a felon because of death threats to me, he's been to jail for domestic violence get custody of our son

Filed under: Domestic violence

i was manipulated into writing two letters to get him out of jail by his mother who has 7 kids 1 she drowned and 3 she actually raised and two of them who both beat women. were going to court I'm fighting for full custody i gave him a chance at the beginning of this year to step up and got joint together.well its the same thing he comes and goes. he's still very violent towards me and now my son comes back violent from visits. i had mediation last week and the mediator adviced me to have no contact with my sons father and not let my son see him. I have a criminal protective order against him only protecting me. what are the chances of him actually getting custody. and i have a clean record.

Based on the facts presented, I would be shocked if he got custody of the children. When a parent commits domestic violence against another parent, there is a rebuttable presumption that the parent who committed the DV should not have primary custody of the children. At this time, you may want to seek a no visitation order until certain safe guards are put in place such as him attending anger management classes and/or therapy to deal with his anger issues. You must show that you are trying to protect your children or you run the risk of losing credibility with the court. Good luck!

2. I think you owe it to your son to go back to court and seek a no visitation order or at least monitered visitation. And do not let anyone else do your thinking for you.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.