If my son's juvenile felony record is sealed, can my son still enter the military?

Wellston, OH |

I guess the real question would really be: If the government can see a felony has taken place (through a FBI or CIA backgound check),even though sealed, do they have the right to hold it against you? Does SEALED = forgiven, excused, or not applicable for a juvenile? I was hoping that there would be a law in place to protect juveniles from holding this against them once they are adults. The felony was vandalism. He was 16 at the time of the crime.
I would like to hear more than on respose to my question. My son needs some hope for the future. Thank you.

While your son's record has been sealed, when applying for sensitive jobs or professional licenses,( ie. military service, teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc) the prospective employer can and usually does ask if there has ever been a record sealing and the charges involved. That being said, I do not believe a vandalism charge committed when your son was 16 will prevent him from entering military service. If he has no other record, has good grades and the right recommendations, the military recruiter should be persuaded to accept him, especially in wartime. Please be prepared to explain the cicumstances of the charge, which was most likely the result of just poor judgment by a teenager. Good Luck

Robert E. Heyman, Esq

Juvenile law topics