If my son's father is not involve in my son's life do I need to go to go to court to obtain full custody?

Asked over 1 year ago - Concord, CA

My son's father is no in my son's life so I was wondering if I automatically have full custody of him or do I need to go to court? If I do get child support from his dad what rights would he have?

1. John Noah Kitta

3

1

Answered . If you do not have an Order or Judgment for custody of your son, in theory, you and the father have equal rights. I'm certain you don't want father to show up some day and decide he is taking physical custody of your son. You need the Judge to make the decision and have an enforceable Court Order that can be shown to the police if needed. The issue of child support and child custody/visitation is really one of apples and oranges. In fact, it really works the opposite the way most people think it would; what I mean by that is the less time Dad spends with child, the more child support he pays. At zero visitation, he pays the absolute maximum amount depended upon his monthly income. In the best interest of your child, when you obtain custody of your son, also obtain an Order for child support and one half of any daycare cost if it is necessary for you to go to school or work. This is in your son's best interest and you will be better able to provide for him.

I hope this is helpful.

John N. Kitta
    Fremont

2. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton

Pro

2

1

Answered . You do not "automatically" have full custody of him without a court order. With regard to child support, I am including links below which will explain how to file for child support, as well as other relevant information. Good luck.