If my son is in acs care

Bronx, NY |

my son is in acs care for about 9months he will be coming home to me in april of this year he has been staying with his grandma the problem i have is that i have halways filed for my son every since he has been born he is 8 years old now and the grandma wants to file for him but he just stays their with her i still buy everthing and the things she buys him is from the acs monies not her own i need to know can she do that because i filed for my son already

Since you have custody then you get to file for him. However, she may be able to file as head of household. Discuss this with an accountant.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

2. However has custody can file for the child for tax purposes. If the child is in the custody of the state, then neuter can file for the child since the state is providing support for the child. Speak with a CPA. I have reposted the matter under taxation.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

3. This is a question better posed to your accountant.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Brooklynlaw.net Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: howard@brooklynlaw.net. This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

4. If, by "file for him," you mean claiming him on your tax return, you most likely cannot do so for 2012 as he was not in your custody for the majority of the year. For the 2013 tax year, however, and assuming you comes back into your care in April, and further assuming he stays in your care for the remainder of the year, I think you very likely could claim the child this year. I would nevertheless advise you to consult an accountant on the question for a definitive opinion. If there are any custody/Art. 10 issues, then I would suggest to schedule a follow-up consultation with a Bronx Co. Child Custody lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Child custody topics