If my petition doesn't get approved, will I maintain my current f1 status?

Asked about 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

I am in the U.S. with a student visa(It will be valid up to the next three years since I'm not going to graduate by then). A company wants to file a petition for me (EB2 based on exceptional ability). In case it doesn't get approved, will it cause any problem for my current f1 status? Or I could continue my studies as a f1 as before?

1. Anu Gupta

Pro

Answered . Yes, you will have issues. F1 visa is not a dual intent visa. If you file for a green card, it shows intent to immigrate. You should discuss your status with your attorney before you file.

2. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

Answered . As long as you continue to be a student you should be okay. Best to consult an immigration attorney.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Yes, but you will likely experience difficulties traveling abroad. F-1 requires that you have no immigrant intent. A green card case is evidence of immigrant intent.