If my parents weren't with me while the police were questioning me

Livermore, CA |

Could that be used in court if they were with me

If you are a Juvenile, the parents are supposed to be present per procedure at the police station. However, they do not need to be present at the scene for preliminary screening of probable cause or if an emergency situation arose. Additionally, Juvenile Courts have more relaxed evidence rules.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Practicing throughout Southern California
(310) 707-7131
www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

What do you mean because the police were questioning me without parents present isnt that against their code that they cant?

Seth Andrew Weinstein

Seth Andrew Weinstein

That is usually in their General Orders. However, the police can question you without your parents being present if you appear to understand what is going on. Generally, police will question individuals over age 15 without their parents being present because they are old enough to understand their rights. Seth Weinstein, Esq. Practicing throughout Southern California (310) 707-7131 www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

But they arent suppose to right?

Seth Andrew Weinstein

Seth Andrew Weinstein

It is not illegal for them to do so if that is what you are asking. Seth Weinstein, Esq. Practicing throughout Southern California (310) 707-7131 www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

Your question is not as clear as it could be. Were your parents there or not? If they were, statements you made may be better able to be admitted into evidence as you had someone to advise you about talking to the police. If they were not there, suppressing the statments (preventing them from being presented at hearing) is more possible as you were less able to give an knowing and intelligent waiver of your rights. This doesn't mean you are stupid, it means that as a juvenile you probably didn't realize what you were doing by speaking to the police. As I am often in Court have your parents call my assistant Dan London at 312-807-3990 to set up a private telephone consultation. At the consultation we all can discuss the confidential details we need to craft a strategic plan for you. These details should not be broadcast over the Internet.

This is a general answer and does not address the specifics of your individual case. To give the specific answer you need our firm needs you to come in for a consultation.

How old are you? That is important. You need to speak with counsel with all the circumstances of your case.