If my parents weren't with me while the police were questioning me

Asked almost 2 years ago - Livermore, CA

Could that be used in court if they were with me

1. Seth Andrew Weinstein

1

Answered . If you are a Juvenile, the parents are supposed to be present per procedure at the police station. However, they do not need to be present at the scene for preliminary screening of probable cause or if an emergency situation arose. Additionally, Juvenile Courts have more relaxed evidence rules.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Practicing throughout Southern California
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

2. Michael Carter Lukehart

Pro

Answered . How old are you? That is important. You need to speak with counsel with all the circumstances of your case.

3. Joseph Henry Sparacino

1

Answered . Your question is not as clear as it could be. Were your parents there or not? If they were, statements you made may be better able to be admitted into evidence as you had someone to advise you about talking to the police. If they were not there, suppressing the statments (preventing them from being presented at hearing) is more possible as you were less able to give an knowing and intelligent waiver of your rights. This doesn't mean you are stupid, it means that as a juvenile you probably didn't realize what you were doing by speaking to the police. As I am often in Court have your parents call my assistant Dan London at 312-807-3990 to set up a private telephone consultation. At the consultation we all can discuss the confidential details we need to craft a strategic plan for you. These details should not be broadcast over the Internet.