Skip to main content

If my parents give me verbal power of attorney can I legally sign for them? Or does it have to be written?

Van Nuys, CA |

Also, do I sign their name or mine?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


It must be in writing. Ideally, it should be prepared by an attorney to make sure it will be honored.

You sign your name, as agent for them.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.


Must be in writing.

Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual, and no attorney-client relationship is formed with you. Our aim is to provide general principles that may be useful to the Avvo community as a whole. You should seek individual legal advice pertaining to your specific factual situation, and the laws applicable to your jurisdiction. Moore & Moore Attorneys at Law --


No one would accept your verbal statement that your parents gave you verbal power to act for them. So-it must be in writing to be effective.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


For you to have power of attorney to exercise on behalf of your parents you would need to have a WRITTEN power of attorney document signed by them, giving you such authority. It would be ideal if the document was prepare by an attorney.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I give a 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.


No. The Power of Attorney needs to be in writing and your parents should have their signatures to the Power of Attorney notarized. It is recommended that an attorney prepare the Power of Attorney, because there are a number of different types of Powers of Attorney. In addition, certain powers granted by a Power of Attorney require certain language.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer