If my parents give me verbal power of attorney can I legally sign for them? Or does it have to be written?

Asked about 2 years ago - Van Nuys, CA

Also, do I sign their name or mine?

1. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

29

1

Answered . No one would accept your verbal statement that your parents gave you verbal power to act for them. So-it must be in writing to be effective.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

26

Answered . For you to have power of attorney to exercise on behalf of your parents you would need to have a WRITTEN power of attorney document signed by them, giving you such authority. It would be ideal if the document was prepare by an attorney.

3. Raphael Samuel Moore

23

Answered . Must be in writing.

4. James P. Frederick

22

Answered . It must be in writing. Ideally, it should be prepared by an attorney to make sure it will be honored.

You sign your name, as agent for them.

James Frederick

5. Jugjit Singh Johal

Pro

16

Answered . No. The Power of Attorney needs to be in writing and your parents should have their signatures to the Power of Attorney notarized. It is recommended that an attorney prepare the Power of Attorney, because there are a number of different types of Powers of Attorney. In addition, certain powers granted by a Power of Attorney require certain language.

One or more answers have been taken down.