If my parents filed a protective order against my boyfriend when i was 17 now that im 18 can you have it dropped?

Bakersfield, CA |

My parents put a restraining order against my boyfriend (same age as me) a year ago,because they think He is trashy, dangerous, and jus a low life but they are completely wrong about him. We have been best friends for 3 years. I will be 18 in 2 months. Is there any way I can take the restraining order off since I didn't file it and I will be a legal adult?

You must carefully read the langauge of the protective order, which will usually have a time period stated clearly on its face (typically something like one year or six months). If that time has expired there is no need to do anything else. Also, you were not clear as to who is protected in the order: is it for your protection, your parents, or each of you? You have no standing as to your parents protective order, only yours, and only once you have attained the age of majority in your state.

I wish you the best of luck.

If you found this helpful I would appreciate your clicking the "thumbs up" below.

If you want to learn more about my law firm access our website: www.tinilawfirm.com. You can also learn more about me including my contact information on my Avvo profile

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Tini is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Tini strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

I wish you the best of luck. If you found this helpful I would appreciate your clicking the "thumbs up" below. If you want to learn more about my law firm access our website: www.tinilawfirm.com. You can also learn more about me including my contact information on my Avvo profile Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Tini is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Tini strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

There is a lot of unanswered information in your question. If your parents got a restraining order against your boyfriend in Kern County, it would likely be for three years, and would also likely include your parents and others living in the house. It may even contain orders that your boyfriend cannot come to your house or your school (if you are not both in the same school). When you turn 18, you are considered an adult, but that will not necessarily help you. If you are living independently, and not living with your parents, you may be able to have the restraining order removed as it relates to you only. If the expiration date for the restraining order expires, you do not need to do anything. The expiration date will be clearly stated on the restraining order.

The answer given to this question does not constitute legal advise, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and this office. Further information may be obtained by scheduling a free consultation with my office at (661) 334-1600, or emailing me at www.carlhartlaw.com.