Skip to main content

If my parental rights are terminated do I still have to pay child support in New York State?

Rochester, NY |

My ex wife told me if I have my rights terminated then I wont have to pay child support anymore. Is that true?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Yes, that is correct. However, you cannot voluntarily surrender your rights, just to avoid a child support obligation. Did your former spouse file a petition seeking to terminate your rights? Is someone going to be adopting the child?

  2. Correct, if your parental rights have been terminated so has your obligation to pay child support.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  3. Your ex-wife is correct. If your rights are terminated, you will not have to pay child support.

    It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact my office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. <a href="">Please visit us on the web.</a>

  4. When your rights are terminated it is equal to your not being the father. If you are not the father you have no obligation to pay for support for a child that is not yours.

    I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

    * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

    This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics