If my opponent in (limited civil) filed an MSJ, but I'm the one who should get it. Can I request it at the hearing?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

When we're arguing the MSJ at the hearing, can I just say, "At this time I wish to ask the court to grant summary judgment to the defendant in this case"? Would I have to pay the usual $500 to file an MSJ (retroactively)? Is there some rule against what I'm considering? I know anyone who reads this will say I'm dreaming and too inexperienced to know what a long shot this is, but I was actually thinking of filing it before I got the other side's motion. Any strategy tips?

1. Lloyd Stewart Mann

Pro

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . No, you would need to bring your own motion for summary judgment. You would have to notice it for a separate hearing (about 75 days notice). However, you are not completely dreaming. Had this been Federal Court, you could have responded in writing to your opponent's motion for summary judgment with a "counter-motion" for summary judgment which would then have been decided along with your opponent's motion. However, in your case, you need to bring your own separate motion, and cannot just ask for judgment at the hearing on your opponent's motion for summary judgment.

2. Malosack Berjis

4

1

Answered . If I understand your question correctly, the answer is no--you have to file a motion just like everyone else.

3. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

4

Answered . My colleagues have provided correct advice. I write only to mention that, if the 75 days has not expired and you have sufficient time, the court may allow you to schedule a MSJ for the same hearing date.

Experienced counsel probably filed and served the MSJ close to the 75 day cut-off so this option is probably not available to you. You cannot escape the filing fee.

The 75 days is jurisdictional. Your first order of business is to determine if the motion was timely served and filed, plus added time re manner of service – if not the court will have to deny the motion without prejudice. If a trial date is approaching this may doom an improperly served MSJ. See Code of Civil Procedure section 437c.

4. Charles Richard Perry

Pro

3

1

Answered . In some cases, counsel agree to file "cross summary judgment motions," where they each file together on an agreed-upon briefing schedule. This often happens when there's a question of law that will decide the case, and the facts are pretty much agreed upon.

A request for summary judgment at a hearing on the other side's motion will be summarily refused. The court will insist that you follow all the steps for such a motion in the Code of Civil Procedure, including all the document and timing requirements.